Thursday, December 1, 2011

Spinach quiche with a twist!

Hello :) Can you believe it's the 1st of December & the beginning of summer already!? Even though it wasn't a hot summer day, it was the perfect weather in my opinion. Sunny, but not too warm and with a slight chill. I was actually lucky enough to have a 1 hour massage this afternoon, as I had a gift voucher from my birthday. I felt amaaaazing afterwards and my posture ever since has been wonderful, especially at ballet tonight which was very helpful :)

Ok, now onto this spinach quiche with a twist! And what is the twist? Well unlike regular spinach quiches, that have a buttery pastry base, I decided to make a brown rice base. Just like the brown rice tart with tomato and feta but with a different topping. Don't get me wrong, pastry occasionally is divine but this is a lighter & healthier option. Fun!

For the brown rice base-
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup cheese, grated
1 egg

1. Cook brown rice (1:1 ratio rice to water. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat down to a very low simmer & put the lid on... "absorption method". This should take around 15-20 minutes)
2. Mix cooked brown rice together with the grated cheese & egg
3. Spread onto a quiche or tart dish and cook in a preheated oven for 15 minutes

For the spinach quiche mixture-
I followed this recipe, although I made up the cream cheese measurements & used about 3/4 of the block in my picture below. I also added about 2 tablespoons of chopped dill and didn't use the cheddar cheese in the topping, as I already had cheese mixed into the base.

4. Take the brown rice mixture out of the oven after 15 minutes
5. Spread over topping and cook for about 25-30 minutes, until it is slightly golden or until everything has set
6. Cool for 10 minutes, then serve!

All of the ingredients (except the milk). I feel a bit like a food stylist!

And onto the finished result :) As you can see, I had to photograph the quiche at every angle! 


I really, really loved this quiche! Cream cheese and parmesan are both quite rich and heavy, so having the brown rice base was wonderful. I really loved having the dill in there too! And it was a big hit with my family, which is really the most important thing :) 

I just...love cooking. 

Hannah x

4 comments:

  1. This sounds fab! I love your recipe and think I will make one tomorrow. A brown rice crust sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this without a doubt. Looks AMAZING. And brown rice! Clever. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a wonderful idea! Love the rice crust! I will have to try it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah- yay, I hope you do :)

    Sonya- thanks, the brown rice is a great base!

    Leah- thanks, please do :)

    ReplyDelete