Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Quinoa + Lemon Anzac Biscuits

Hello :) I have had a few major assignments to complete in the past few weeks and hence decided to become a little absent from blog land. But I am back! And with a cookbook review - so keep reading cause there's a lovely biscuit recipe after I ramble for a bit longer ...

I have been following Emma's blog my darling lemon thyme for quite some time now, and was very excited when her cookbook was recently released! Over the years I've made a few recipes almost routinely such as her eggplant curry (so easy to make midweek!) and rhubarb & lemon cake- all scrumptious! Emma is a former chef and the recipes in her cookbook, as with her blog are sans gluten, dairy (mostly) and are vegetarian, but are packed with flavour and always work.

The book !


Being a gluten-free cookbook, I've been having fun at the food co-op and buying a little bit of brown rice, quinoa, chickpea and some other unusual flours (well unusual for myself!) Most of the recipes use a few flours combined with a starch (tapioca/potato) - and I've found buying from a bulk co-op is great because you can buy just a little of each and it ain't too pricey.

Here are some recipes I have made in the past two months ...

Banana pancakes made with buckwheat/almond/brown rice flour.


Carrot, apple and ginger muffins.


A puffed millet slice - so so yum!! Perfect for the lunchbox too.


Blueberry and banana breakfast muffins. 


Chia pudding. Lovely to mix up the night before for a quick and sustaining brekky.


Now I am lucky enough to share one of my favourite recipes of hers so far from the cookbook - I hope you enjoy them as much as I do !!!

Recipe: Quinoa & Lemon Anzac Biscuits (reproduced with full permission)
Ingredients
1 cup (100g) quinoa flakes
1/2 cup (70g) brown rice flour
1/3 cup (40g) quinoa flour
1 cup (200g) unrefined sugar
3/4 cup (75g) desiccated coconut
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
125g butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup or runny honey
1 teaspoon baking soda
Method
Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (or 335 fahrenheit). Grease and line two baking trays with baking paper. Place quinoa flakes, brown rice flour, quinoa flour, sugar, coconut and lemon zest in a bowl. Melt butter and golden syrup together in a small pan over medium heat. Mix baking soda with 2 tablespoons boiling water and add to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon or clean hands.

Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls, squeezing the mixture together if it seems crumbly. Slightly flatten and place 2-3cm apart on baking trays. 

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cookies have risen, then fallen and become dark golden brown in colour. Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store airtight for up to 4-5 days. Makes 30.

Here's how mine turned out ... I've made them at least four times now, and they always taste super scrumptious and wholesome and lemony. I've served them to quite a few people too - and you'd never know there was quinoa flakes and flour in there! 


© My Darling Lemon Thyme
By Emma Galloway
Published by HarperCollins New Zealand

Hope you are all having a great week :)

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment