Monday, August 3, 2015

Green salad + batch cooking

Hello :) I went to Marrickville markets on Sunday for the first time in about two months, and came back with lots of fresh produce - excited to cook! At the moment I find myself eating out a bit, working till late and generally not getting home all that often so it's so nice to take time to visit the markets (as a customer) and spend a Sunday getting grounded and back into the swing of healthy eating!

I ended up buying two cabbages (a savoy and green one), a whole bag of avocados, locally made organic brown rice miso (lovely in hot water with chives instead of tea), fresh turmeric, flax crackers that were on sale, lemonade lemons (that you eat like oranges, they're so sweet!) and a plethora of other greens ... 


As I'd bought two cabbages, I decided to make some simple sauerkraut in a big glass jar (I'd have used my fermenter bucket but there's fermenting kimchi in there!) and had the idea of making a big batch of green salad to have for the next few days. I definitely need more veggies in my life! I added finely chopped cabbage, cucumber, fennel, kale, red onion and dill to a bowl and gave it a good mix with some peppery olive oil and sea salt ... 

For lunch we had some of the salad with marinated lamb ribs baked in the oven with brussels sprouts and some turmeric potato bread on the side (from the Irish soda bread stall). 


Then for a quick breakfast today I had a big handful of the salad with two boiled eggs, some feta and fermented beetroot. Salad for brekky ain't that weird, promise!


I even decided to have some salad for lunch with some avocado and fennel seeds on toast. 


Now I know meal planning or batch cooking isn't all that new, but after making a big batch of the salad on Sunday and popping it in a container - I realised just how easy it was to eat more vegetables if I have a nice, fresh salad already prepared! 

Does anyone batch cook or do lots of meal planning? Maybe I should try making a big batch of falafels next ....

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment